Graduate / Junior Software Developer
Location: Melbourne VIC
Work type: Permanent Full Time
Who we are
Household Capital is a specialist financial services firm that provides Australian retirees with access to home equity to improve long-term retirement funding.
What we do
We provide retirees with the flexibility, confidence, and choice to meet their retirement needs and make decisions about their lifestyle. We believe the family home can be both the best place to live and the right way to fund retirement.
As a software developer working alongside talented peers within our team, you will be involved in the software engineering and delivery of our cloud infrastructure and application services while gaining a deep understanding of the financial industry's products and services. You will be working in an agile environment, driven by client value and feedback, with a focus on user experience, process automation, integration, data analytics, and machine learning. Your direct contribution to defining and implementing critical business solutions will support the next stage of our growth.
The type of person we are looking for
- a software engineer willing to learn modern engineering trends and technologies
- a team person with the ability to relate effectively and positively with all people at all levels
- a combination of positive personality traits (smart, innovative, low ego, collaborative, honest, of high integrity, intensity, and passion)
- a tertiary qualification in computer science or software engineering
- great programming/scripting skills
- a strong sense of ownership
- real passion for learning technology
- strong interpersonal and communication skills
- desire to successfully deliver solutions to clients
- knowledge of one or more application development stacks - e.g. Python, NodeJS, Java, etc.
- ability to write clean, testable code with the appropriate unit, integration, and end-to-end tests
- experience with shell scripting and build tools, such as Bash, Zsh, and Make.
- experience with online version control and code management platforms, such as GitHub
- understanding the benefits of DevOps practices to improve the software delivery process
- understanding the concepts of serverless computing, microservices architecture, and application programming interfaces
- familiarity with the use of AWS services and trends, and associated infrastructure-as-code technologies, such as Terraform and CloudFormation
- understanding of fully-featured build and delivery pipelines using modern CI/CD platforms, such as Buildkite
- familiarity with monitoring, alerting, and log aggregation tools, such as Grafana
- familiarity with PaaS products and containers, such as Docker
- experience with a fully-featured CRM service, such as Salesforce with Lightning and Apex
- understanding of Internet communication protocols
- understanding of relational and NoSQL databases
- understanding of parallel execution and multi-threading
- familiarity with agile development practices including Kanban, cross-functional teams, and continuous improvement
- commercial experience within the financial services industry
Why work with us
- great opportunity to join the financial service industry and obtain software development skills within
- provided industry-specific training and professional development
- possibility to perform multiple technical roles, giving you more exposure to a range of different platforms and services
- use of the latest tools and technologies to best support your role
- ongoing access to leading learning and development courses/programs with dedicated study times
- an environment where you and your opinion matters
- an enabling culture to make a real positive difference
- a compelling employment package including a competitive salary and a flexible work policy
- great cycle-to-work facilities with showers and lockers
- a strong community culture with regular social get-togethers
- choice of laptops and operating systems
- regular hackathons and code fests
- great office location in Melbourne CBD
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, please apply - we look forward to learning more about you.